Sunday, December 16, 2018

Bad Window Art

There's a local furniture store which annually features winter-themed art by a local "artist". It's never been great, but this year's offerings are off the charts.

 To start off, a window facing the side street has this simple A-framed cabin. A little primitive, perhaps, but perfectly serviceable. I actually like the artist's style with the translucent white paint. It gives the pictures a suitably wintery feel:



 Moving on, the first window on the front of the building has some pretty-good birds and some okay mushrooms. It's too bad the artist didn't stick with his strengths:



Next we have an overview of the storefront. Even from a distance some problems jump out at the viewer:


First up, I'm guessing the artist felt he needed to fill up the window frame, but must not have known how to scale up the drawings to fit the space. Solution? Extra mid-sections!


Not to totally diss the guy (I saw him working, thus I know his gender), I feel compelled to point out that he's quite good at animal heads. The bodies are another story altogether. Maybe he grew up in a house with a lot of hunting trophies on the walls.

Long Deer must have grown weary of supporting its three mid-sections, so folded up its stick-like legs for a little lie-down.


What I said about the artist being good at animal heads doesn't apply as well to bears, but at least you can tell what it's the head of. The rest of the body is a nightmare. If you look closely at the bear's rod-straight left rear leg, it looks like the bear must be wearing a bear suit that didn't include feet.


10 comments:

  1. Let's go with an impressive display of primitive art done by a local artist in the grand tradition of Christmas window displays. Or conversely, Free drinks inside! ;~) Happy, happy! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the legs are too short rather than the bodies being too long! Maybe the artist was going to add some snow, which might correct the leg length.
    I have no excuses for the reindeer with folded up legs, nor for the bear.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might be onto something about adding snow. I notice that several of the deers' legs just end without feet, so he must be planning on adding either feet or, more likely, snow to cover them. The artist was still working on the drawings (he's been doing it over the course of several days) when I first went by to take a snap. I'll check again later to see if there have been any additions. I think only a blizzard will hide the problems with that bear, though.

      Delete
  3. Just popping by to say "Merry Christmas!" Here's to a Happy New Year. You certainly made 2018 memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mistress. It's certainly been an interesting year, what with The Shorts and the destruction of a nearby town and all. Hope you had a great Christmas, and may our new year be a good one. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year, Rimpy! I hope you don't get set upon by any of the bizarre wildlife around there. Those concertina bellies look like they can fit quite a lot in them. The deer where you live aren't carnivorous, are they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you, IDV. I'm safe so far, but I don't think I'll be strolling through the local woods anytime soon.

      Delete
  6. I love stylized art! I can't draw critters well either. I spill paint on a canvas and I'm told to clean up that mess. Jackson Pollock does the same thing and sells the result for millions...

    I hope you and yours had a lovely holiday season, Rimpy.


    Happy New Year!!!

    -----_[_]_
    -----(•!•)
    --\/=====\/
    ---{(__*__)}
    --{((__*__))}
    -{((_______))}
    .o.•.o.•.o.•.o.•.o

    I wish you and your loved ones a Wonderful and Amazing New Year! May the New Year bring you lots of joy, laughter, and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit belated, because I just saw your comment, but thanks, eroswings, and same to you.

      Delete