Monday, March 30, 2020

I'm Ba-aack!



Greetings, all!

A couple of posts ago I mentioned that I had undergone some major changes in my life. I won't bore you with the sordid details, but after a few rough months, I'm in a better place. I'm currently residing in Portland, Oregon and continuing in my work as a bus driver, but now for the local transit authority, TriMet.

I now feel able to resume some of my previous on-line activities, and am eager to begin posting about my new city and what it's like to go from driving for a small, semi-rural transit system to driving for a very large and busy one. Of course, with COVID-19, the city and the system are not very busy at all. I was just starting to get used to maneuvering in heavy traffic on narrow streets, and then everything changed. It will be a bit of a shock to my system if and when things return to normal.

Right now TriMet is dealing with drastically reduced ridership, and is having to make some cut backs in services, so next week I will have a different work schedule. At least I'm still working.

In other news, I am currently involved in a fun writing project with some of the Infomaniac Bitches and other bloggers from around the globe. It's called "A Write Panic". We take random turns writing new posts for an evolving story. Check it out, won't you?

9 comments:

  1. I wondered where y'all had slipped off to! ;~) xoxo Stay safe and well, sweetpea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Up here, you're only allowed to board the bus through the doors toward the rear, not the front doors. This rule was put in place during virus times to proetct the drivers. Do you have anything like that in place?

    p.s. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That has been suggested here, but our buses are set up such that (except for some of the oldest models - which are quickly being retired) the driver can only unlock the rear exit door, and then the passenger must push it to open it, then the driver can either shut it with their door control handle or it will close by itself in a few seconds. To change over to a totally driver-controlled system would be a huge undertaking in terms of time and money. They have eliminated taking cash fares. Instead people can use magnetic and electronic methods (if they have them - otherwise their ride is free) via a device close to the front door and further from the driver, as a way to reduce the amount of time passengers have to spend near the driver. Also, about half of our buses have either been purchased with or been retrofitted with a driver barrier door. These were originally intended to protect us from assault, but the company recommends keeping the sliding plexiglass window closed to reduce our exposure. They're trying to use the barrier-equipped buses exclusively, and with the recent 47% drop in ridership, that's not hard to do.

      Delete
  3. Oh Rimpy, keep safe. I think there will some interesting driving when people take to the roads again!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Scarlet. The driving is already rather interestingb despite the slow down. It seems that only the dimmest and craziest segments of the population are out driving their cars and riding buses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't Portland full of Wesen? Surely some of them would be a bt more unnerving than COVID-19? Stay safe, Rimpy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard about that show until just now. How interesting. I will do my best to be safe. You as well, IDV.

      Delete