Sunday, December 1, 2013

Life Hacks, Sort Of

So called "life hacks" (what we oldsters would call "useful hints and tips" in our funny old-fashioned way) are popular on the internet. Often there are some good ideas among them - the kind that make you say, "Why didn't I think of that?", but sometimes...

The following photos were culled from an article at a site called Twisted Sifter, which some friends shared on Facebook.  While some of the ideas are sound, the author(s) of the captions didn't seem to be paying good attention. And some of the ideas are a little...well...dumb.




A good idea, but I can't help pointing out that those are binder clips, not paper clips - as they noted later in their own article:




Moving on...




Some fifty years ago, my dad showed me that increased capacity can be achieved by putting the opening of the cup against your mouth with your palm on the bottom and gently blowing into it. The bottom expands without decreasing the integrity of the rim.




If you don't mind faintly ketchupy-flavored pancakes. Have you ever tried to thoroughly wash out one of these porous plastic containers? It's impossible.




...if you're a dick.




...if you're an alcoholic dick.




Those are screws, not nails, but point taken. And what's with the capitol P in plugs?



You can also buy little colored rubber things that slip over the head of the key for next to nothing, but I guess if you're on a super-strict budget and don't mind wasting your expensive nail polish, then, by all means, go for it.




For those rare homes that have neither a tub or shower.




This is great, but I still can't do it. Nope. Just gonna wad that fucker up and shove it in the closet.

2 comments:

  1. I'm wondering how I would get the pancake mix into the ketchup bottle without making a mess. Use a funnel, you would say; fine, so I would get a funnel, and then discover that the hole at the bottom is too small for the pancake batter to flow easily into the bottle. Then I'd go look for another, larger funnel and find out that even that one doesn't work very well. Then I would give up on the funnel and try to pour the batter directly from the mixing bowl into the bottle, making a huge mess in the process, and finally fly into a rage and throw the whole thing across the room, distributing pancake mix all over the kitchen. While I was cleaning that up I would notice too late that the pan full of hot oil that I left on the stove to heat while I was fiddling with the batter is smoking away and has now burst into flame, setting my kitchen on fire. For all this I will blame you.

    Wouldn't this be a good time for some rhubarb pie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very funny. Is there some significance to rhubarb pie that I'm missing? A tiny bell is faintly tinkling in the back of my mind, and it has me slightly worried, like memories of torture at the hands of "bunnies". Odd that I would nickname my own daughter "Bunny" after all that. Perhaps it's therapeutic.

    ReplyDelete